Teaching about Juneteenth? Here are 5 Great Resources!
As our country’s second independence working day, Juneteenth marks the day in 1865 when Union troops arrived in Galveston Bay, Texas to announce that approximately 300,000 enslaved black folks have been no cost. This day in history became recognized as “Juneteenth” and is now identified as a federal holiday getaway. What do you know about this holiday getaway, and greater but, what knowledge do your students have on this matter? Under we share 5 of our finest methods best for expanding your comprehending and making a sturdy basis for your pupils.
1. Master about the record of Juneteenth with this interactive story from the Smithsonian National Museum of African American Historical past and Culture:
Stop by The Historical Legacy of Juneteenth
2. Utilize electronic expertise apply to display college student studying about this historic function:
3. Read guides established by Black authors:
4. Join a synchronous session for educators on training the Black Flexibility Wrestle hosted by the Zinn Training Job:
5. Attend a local celebration or festivity! Investigate the in-person choices in your geographical region to get with other people and commemorate this essential party in our nation’s heritage.
Research “Juneteenth” + [your state] to obtain an occasion
For a lot more opportunities to find out about our nation’s heritage and its legacy of racism, check out out the adhering to continuing instruction courses: