More than the past various years, the race for decide on Erie County Frequent Pleas Courtroom has attracted a variety of candidates.
Not this yr.
Only a person applicant is functioning for the just one open seat on the nine-member bench, and he acquired a large head begin in the race — which possible allows reveal the lack of challengers.
Marshall J. Piccininni, a former assistant U.S. attorney in Erie, was appointed an Erie County decide two many years ago and is functioning unopposed in the Could 18 key as he seeks a whole 10-calendar year phrase.
Piccinini is a registered Republican who has cross-filed on the GOP and Democratic ballots. Barring an unlikely challenge from a create-in candidate, he is certain to earn on May well 18 and again in the normal election on Nov. 2.
Piccinini, 56, of Edinboro, is functioning on his judicial experience — an advantage that couple of candidates can declare when they first run for county decide.
Attorneys jogging for decide commonly cite their authorized backgrounds as evidence of their skills, but Piccinini is pointing to how he has dealt with conditions on the bench above the previous two many years for why he must be elected to a full expression.
“I’ve savored my time on the bench,” Piccinini claimed.
While finest acknowledged for his work as a federal prosecutor — he managed the Erie pizza bomber case, the issue of fascination worldwide — Piccinini’s do the job as a judge has prolonged beyond prison cases. He has taken care of criminal trials, but also presided more than civil situations and household regulation matters, such as custody disputes.
The most worthwhile part of staying a choose, Piccinini mentioned, has been his potential “to aid men and women remedy their complicated problems.”
Gov. Tom Wolf, a Democrat, in March 2019 nominated Piccinini to fill a vacancy on the Erie County bench established by the retirement of Choose William R. Cunningham, a Republican. The point out Senate unanimously verified Piccinini in May well 2019 with the backing of his friend, state Sen. Dan Laughlin, of Millcreek Township, R-49th Dist. Piccinini was sworn in as a decide on June 28, 2019.
Cunningham’s seat was not up for election in the 2019 race for the reason that he retired much less than 10 months ahead of the municipal election on Nov. 5 of that year. The seat then went up for a vote in the subsequent municipal election, in 2021.
If elected to a 10-year time period, Piccinini would be qualified for a retention vote at the time the 10-calendar year term finishes.
Unanimous vote:State Senate confirms Piccinini as Erie County judge
Swearing-in:Erie County gets new choose
Just before getting the bench, Piccinini also served as a longtime prosecutor for Erie County. An Army lawyer initially from Bucks County, he started out his job in Erie County in 1994 as an assistant district legal professional underneath Cunningham, who was then district lawyer. Piccinini worked in the Erie County District Attorney’s Office environment for five and a half many years.
Piccinini then served for 20 many years as an assistant U.S. lawyer for the Pittsburgh-centered Western District of Pennsylvania, including chief of the district’s Erie division from 2001 to 2019.
Piccinini is operating in a person of two elections for a seat on the Erie County bench this calendar year, even though none of the other eight seats is open up. The other race is a retention vote for Choose John J. Trucilla, who was very first elected to a 10-yr-term in 2001. Voters elected to keep him for one more 10 decades in 2011, and he explained he is operating for retention this calendar year.
Retention votes for judges happen only in the November election.
The once-a-year salary for Popular Pleas Courtroom judges in Pennsylvania is $186,665, in accordance to state legislation. The annual salary for the Erie County president choose, who is Joseph M. Walsh III, is $188,292.
Marshall J. Piccinini
- Prospect for Erie County Prevalent Pleas Court judge
- Celebration: Republican cross-filed on Republican and Democratic ballots
- Age: 56
- Occupation: Erie County Typical Pleas Courtroom choose because June 2019. Assistant U.S. attorney for the U.S. Attorney’s Place of work for the Pittsburgh-dependent Western District of Pennsylvania, 1999 -2019, including chief of the office’s Erie Division, 2001-2019. Assistant district lawyer and deputy district lawyer for Erie County, 1994-1999. Captain, Judge Advocate General’s Corps, U.S. Military, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kansas, 1990-1994. U.S. Army Reserve, commander of the 430th and 322nd navy police’s criminal investigation detachments in Erie, 1994-1999.
- Education and learning: Regulation diploma, College of Pittsburgh University of Law. Bachelor’s degree in political science, Washington & Jefferson College or university.
- Particular: Edinboro resident. Married with 3 adult little ones
- Marketing campaign: www.piccinini4decide.com
- The Erie County Bar Association’s information on Piccinini, like resume, interview: www.eriebar.com/Judicial-Candidates-Info-and-Scores.